CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

9.12.2008

the men get a turn







In a few cases this fashion week, I was drawn more to the menswear on the runway. Nowhere was that more the case than Michael Kors. I could not for the life of me understand what the women were wearing- especially when seen in relation to the men's clothing. I felt the line lacked a cohesiveness and wearability factor. I did, however, appreciate Kors' take on plaid and cardigans. The plaid outfit shown above was reminiscent of a Trovata womens wear look that I liked - fitted lightweight plaid, tucked into a dark, skinny bottom. The effect is an effortless sense of cool. Props for the navy cardigan set - very sleek.

The jury is still out on the Calvin Klein presentation- my first instinct is to say that it was rather boring with the exception of the electric pieces featured above. I suspect they thought mixing a sea of beige and white clothes with a handful of over saturated suits would help them break even.

Perry Ellis delivers for the young country club set, offering plenty of pastels and sleek lines with just enough room in the pants to make golfing possible. Obedient Sons offered up the standard blazer and skinny tailored pants/shorts but kept things interesting by adding a significant amount of embellishments- from the unexpected florals to embroidered blazers.

The styling at Diesel was baffling. If anyone can explain to me how the hats tied into the theme of the clothing- I'd love to know. Although I didn't entirely mind their selection of vests. 3.1 Phillip Lam, on the other hand, won me over with their styling. The (faux?) snake skin shoes added a much appreciated retro touch to the polished jackets and slim fitting/immaculately tailored pants. Python is hot right now. Stella McCartney must be pissed.

Marc by Marc Jacobs seemed to be at once invoking the essence of Chuck Bass and Welcome Back Kotter - with a dash of A Different World for good measure. The connection? Perhaps it was television's most beloved school boys. Marc Jacobs (the man and the line) seemed to be all about unique fusions.

More on the women's wear @ Trendology

Runway photos courtesy of NYMAG

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the rolled cuffs at Obedient Sons. And think you're really funny!

Couture Carrie said...

This is a great roundup - have been trying to pay more attention to menswear lately!!

xoxox,
CC

P.S. Adding you to the blogroll, darling!

Anonymous said...

The colors at CK are really unexpected but great. I wish I could afford to buy one of those jackets. I think it would look great over a black mini.

Keep up the good work girl, you've got such an incredible knack for this!

-Sue

Ps. I'll email you about doing a guest spot on my blog!

Anonymous said...

I think you nailed the school boy thing. It's really true, the look was everywhere. Do you think it comes from Geek chic?

Anonymous said...

I didn't mind MK so much, but it sounds like you hated it, haha.